Updated April 9, 2021
The Cedars is working closely with the Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as our Medical Director at MaineHealth to ensure the safety and well being of our residents. To date, there have been 53,434 positive cases of COVID-19 in Maine with 14,567 positive cases in Cumberland County.
COVID-19 and The Cedars
On Thursday, April 9 The Cedars became aware that a staff member at the Sam L. Cohen Skilled Care Household tested positive for COVID-19. That individual was interviewed for contact tracing and is quarantining for 14 days. This person had no contact with the Hoffman Center, The Osher Inn or The Atrium which all remain free of COVID-19. The Skilled Care Household is currently in a 14 day quarantine, and the residents were all tested today. The staff are being tested this weekend. Visitations to the Skilled Care Household are limited to window visits and FaceTime visits. To schedule a visit, please call 221-7000, ext. 3000. We will update our community with any further positive cases.
COVID-19 Vaccine Update:
Vaccine clinics have been held for all areas of The Cedars community. The majority of staff and residents are fully vaccinated. An additional clinic with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is being held on Friday, April 16 for staff and any residents who have not been vaccinated.
With the new guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), The Cedars is pleased to share that we will resume inside, face-to-face visits starting Friday, March 19. We have been working hard to ensure that we will provide private and safe settings and a user-friendly process for your visits. CMS guidelines allow for inside visits, regardless of vaccination status, and would be limited by a high-risk of COVID transmission in the community or the presence of COVID-19 at The Cedars.
In addition, CMS requires that visits will be limited to residents from states that the Maine CDC has identified as low risk for transmission and, therefore are exempt. The current list of exempt states are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. Visitors from non-exempt states are not permitted for inside visits unless they have been in Maine for 14 days or more.
In addition, CMS requires that residents who are in quarantine due to a recent admission or transfer from the community or hospital are not permitted inside visitations during the quarantine period. The only exception is a compassionate visit.
Starting Friday, March 19, The Cedars will offer visits seven days per week. Below are the details and requirements for participating in inside visits.
- Visits may be scheduled 24 hours in advance
- Window Visits and Zoom or FaceTime visits will continue to be available on a limited basis
- We ask that families limit Window, Zoom and FaceTime visits to individuals living out of the area or those are arriving from a non-exempt state within the past 14 days.
- All visitors are required to sanitize their hands and wear surgical masks, which we will provide as needed.
- A maximum of three visitors may visit at any one time.
- Children of all ages are welcome. Children ages three and over are required to wear a mask.
- CMS states that visitors must keep their masks on and maintain a six-foot distance. With that, CMS states that, if the resident is fully vaccinated, they can choose to have close contact (including touch) with their visitor while wearing a well-fitting mask.
- Visitors must maintain a six-foot distance from all staff.
- No pets and no eating permitted during the visit.
- CMS requires that visitors go directly to and from the visitation space, and not linger or roam through the building.
Visits are available by appointment, please call for details and to schedule your visit
- To schedule a visit with a rehab patient or skilled-nursing resident, please call the receptionist, M-F 8:30 am-7 pm at 221-7000, press option 0.
- To schedule a visit with an Osher Inn resident, call Melissa Weber, Life Enrichment Manager at 221-7116.
- To schedule a visit with an Atrium member, call the receptionist at 221-7100
Each building continues to be self-contained with designated staff who are coming and going directly to each entrance. In addition, all dining rooms remain closed and group activities have been replaced with remote and one-on-one offerings. We are delivering meals directly to resident rooms/apartments. We are providing grocery shopping and pharmacy pick ups for the residents at The Atrium. Staff are wearing masks while at work, are getting screens/temperature checks prior to starting work and universal testing every two weeks. We are highly diligent about sanitizing all work and resident environments, common areas and high-touch locations.