“Ask The Nurse is a program at The Atrium, independent living at The Cedars that gives our residents the chance to touch base with Nancy Kuliga, RN and ask health questions, get their blood pressure checked, or help them decide if they need to contact their physician. In addition to this twice-weekly clinic, Nancy also oversees the Home Health Services at The Cedars that provides support for our residents. Nancy enjoys getting to know so many of the residents and always looks forward to this part of her week. Here is her advice on how to stay healthy this flu season:
1. Get the flu vaccine! The best time to get the vaccine is from October through November but it is still useful to get one even if it’s later in the flu season.
2. Wash or sanitize hands thoroughly and often. Frequently washing hands with regular soap is an effective way to get rid of cold and flu germs.
3. Exercise regularly. Moderate exercise boosts the immune system and could reduce risk of cold by a third.
4. Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
5. Clean the environment to eliminate germs.
6. Sanitize your mobile devices.
7. Stay away from people who are sick.
8. Avoid crowds and unnecessary travel.
9. Drink plenty of liquids! Drinking plenty of liquids, especially plain water or hot tea, helps the nasal passages stay moist and trap germs.
10. Get added Vitamin C and protein through nutritious foods! Some studies have shown that a little extra Vitamin C (but not too much) can reduce the risk of getting sick.